THE "NOT-SO" NEWS/JBLA: Healthy Lifestyle Shanks Mental Health

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Healthy Lifestyle Shanks Mental Health

For many people, going without has become a way of life but some folks are now wondering whether self-inflicted deprivation is as good for the mind as it is for the body.

As technology reaches its peak in the health industry physicians are more likely to hand you a list of things you should avoid in order to extend your life expectancy but are failing to address the slew of mental issues arising from lifestyle changes.

After a recent visit to a doctor, one 60-year-old patient in California, who has spent the last several years following the recommendations of the health industry, was taken aback by his doctors comments and is now considering reverting back to all his old bad habits.

"I recently picked a new primary care physician and after two visits and dozens of lab test he said I was doing fairly well for my age," he said. "I was curious whether or not he thought I'd live till eighty so I asked him."

He said the doctor then asked him a slew of questions including whether he smoked or drank, whether or not he ate red meat, whether he spent too much time in the sun playing golf, sailing, hiking or bicycling, whether he gambled too much, drove too fast or had sex too often to which the answer to each was no.

The doctor finished his notes then looked at his patient and shook his head before asking him one final question.

"Then why do you give a shit if you live to be 80?"

[Editors Note: Take the poll in the sidebar to see what others link about giving up everything they've ever thought was fun.]

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

I love your concept. I wish I'd thought of it! The "Bestest Blog" site was right when they said I would laugh.

Thanks for the chuckles.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Sara's Varolo Village said...

My grandmother told me that growing up she ate shmaltz(chicken fat) on toast for breakfast and she also smoked for years. Frankly, I don't think they really know as much about extending life as they think.

Smoke em if ya got em!
Sara
babyowls.blogspot.com

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

One day I was sitting in front of my computer trying to capture an image, but instead, the computer caught my soul. I have been living inside this little box for some time now and I like it when people visit. Come on, you know you want to tell me something...


Get my banner code or create your own banner

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites
referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
get this clock
I got a Goldstar
BlogAdvance Top Blogs
Solution Graphics
........................................
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
.........................................

Powered by Blogger

............................................................................... web site promotion Funniest Video
  • 'BEST BLOG OF THE DAY' JULY 1, 2006 Read The Review .........................................