THE "NOT-SO" NEWS/JBLA: Black Friday Leads To Depression

Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday Leads To Depression

While stores gear up for the busiest shopping day of the year, consumers should beware that too much spending on Black Friday often leads to an often untalked about syndrome known as Stupid Monday.

Although Stupid Monday is not as highly publicized as the traditional Black Friday, it is celebrated across the nation and throughout the world by psychologists, therapists and pharmaceutical companies as the highest income producing day of the year.

One local therapist in California says the Monday after Thanksgiving is usually the busiest day of the year for her.

"People want to feel good at this time of the year but they often fail to put a limit on their spending because the deals are so good the day after Thanksgiving," she said. "This is especially true of those who shop using credit cards."

She said consumers often don't feel the pain until sometime Sunday when they start tallying up their receipts and realize that they've spent far more than they anticipated.

She added that the guilt of spending beyond ones means leads to an assortment of anxiety producing symptoms including rapid heart beat, excessive sweating and a tourettes-like syndrome of cursing aloud at any given time.

"I tell my clients that they should put cash in their wallets before they hit the stores and when it's gone they should get back in their car and go home," she said. "This does not happen often enough though and that's when my phone starts ringing off the hook Sunday afternoon."

7 Comments:

Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm hoping I don't feel the affects of stupid Monday. Got some great deals today.

10:44 AM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

I wouldn't go near the mall today unless someone held a gun to my head...and even then I might just ask them to pull the trigger.
JB

11:08 AM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Wanted to stop by and wish you and wonderful and safe Thanksgiving Holiday! Now...go shopping!

3:56 PM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

No way Mimi, I've had a few stupid Mondays in the past and swore them off forever.
Thanks for coming by. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful as well.
JB

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I too wrote about Black Friday today. I refuse to shop on Black Friday. I don't need any more Stupid Mondays. I've had enough for a lifetime.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

We always get busy on our unit right after Thanksgiving. People come in because the holidays bring out all kinds
of unresolved family issues. We hit out peak at Christmas.

MJ

7:23 AM  
Blogger Michael C said...

I've heard that the busiest online shopping day is Monday when people get back to work after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately my employer's firewall is a little thicker than others, I guess.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

One day I was sitting in front of my computer trying to capture an image, but instead, the computer caught my soul. I have been living inside this little box for some time now and I like it when people visit. Come on, you know you want to tell me something...


Get my banner code or create your own banner

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites
referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
get this clock
I got a Goldstar
BlogAdvance Top Blogs
Solution Graphics
........................................
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
.........................................

Powered by Blogger

............................................................................... web site promotion Funniest Video
  • 'BEST BLOG OF THE DAY' JULY 1, 2006 Read The Review .........................................