THE "NOT-SO" NEWS/JBLA: Boy Meets Girl...By Accident...

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Boy Meets Girl...By Accident...

I sent my daughter off on an errand to deliver a Christmas present to Alex's teacher since he's been out sick all week and I wasn't feeling so great today. No sooner did I sit back and try to relax when the phone rang. Someone had hit her in her car.

"I'm okay, someone hit me. Can you come Mom?" I threw on a coat, grabbed the Holga and off I went.
This was the young mans car, a two thousand and something Mercedes Benz, that in trying to dodge a car pulling out from the curb swerved to miss it and careened into her door as she was getting out. Her door was only open about 12 inches, her foot was on the ground and she was just moving her body out of the car when the car struck. She threw herself backwards inside the vehicle to avoid the impact.

All I can say is thank God for those two or three seconds that had not passed allowing her to be out of the car. It would have been her that he struck.This is what's left of her drivers side door. It will still close if you kick it shut and fortunately the window still works but, it looks like shit.

Of course the young man was speeding, possibly moving at 50-60 miles per hour, and it took him about 100 yards to stop his car. Strangely enough this was directly in front of Alex's school where the speed limit is 15 miles per hour during that time when children are getting out of school. I guess we should thank our lucky stars no one was actually crossing the street at that exact moment.

Sarah sat in shock laying across her friends lap where she landed trying to avoid impact. When I asked her if anyone witnessed the accident she said there was a black man with dread locks walking down the sidewalk across from her and a white woman in a white Ford Explorer. That made me burst out laughing because she'd just described nearly the entire population of Los Angeles. I guess the insurance companies will be busy tonight figuring this out.

I can only say I'm grateful that it was her door and not her that got hit.

I guess this is truely an early Christmas present, my daughter shaken, but safe and sound.

I think that when all is said and done Tammy, Sarah could have used some of the reflectors from the car that you shot.

1 Comments:

Blogger ISOSOS said...

OH MY GOD! I'm starting to think that Sarah should not be near anything made of metal that moves... thank God she's alright. There's something to be said for having good reflexes. And yes, I think some reflectors would be a good idea..."STAY AWAY!" Is what they should say.
But I must say you show true dedication grabbing your Holga... you take the prize winning the most dedicated... thank goodness you're not a press photog.. I would be in trouble, as well as a lot of other photogs. You're one amazing CHICK!
I hope that Sarah's feeling ok today.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

One day I was sitting in front of my computer trying to capture an image, but instead, the computer caught my soul. I have been living inside this little box for some time now and I like it when people visit. Come on, you know you want to tell me something...


Get my banner code or create your own banner

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites
referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
get this clock
I got a Goldstar
BlogAdvance Top Blogs
Solution Graphics
........................................
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
.........................................

Powered by Blogger

............................................................................... web site promotion Funniest Video
  • 'BEST BLOG OF THE DAY' JULY 1, 2006 Read The Review .........................................